Skip Navigation
Skip to contents

CPP : Cardiovascular Prevention and Pharmacotherapy

Sumissioin : submit your manuscript
SEARCH
Search

Author index

Page Path
HOME > Browse articles > Author index
Search
Sang Won Han 2 Articles
Variation in blood viscosity based on the potential cause of stroke of undetermined etiology
Jinyoung Oh, Youngchan Jung, Jin Kim, Sun Ki Min, Sang Won Han, Jong Sam Baik
Cardiovasc Prev Pharmacother. 2023;5(4):144-150.   Published online October 25, 2023
DOI: https://doi.org/10.36011/cpp.2023.5.e14
  • 780 View
  • 16 Download
Abstract PDF
Background
This study investigated potential differences in blood viscosity (BV) among patients with stroke of undetermined etiology, negative evaluation (SUDn), specifically those with potential atherothrombosis (SUDn-AT) and those with possible embolism (SUDn-E).
Methods
This single-center study employed a retrospective observational design. The participants were patients over 20 years old with the SUDn stroke subtype who were admitted within 5 days of symptom onset. These patients were categorized as SUDn-AT or SUDn-E. Patients in the SUDn-AT group had nonsignificant stenosis (<50%) of a major brain artery relevant to their symptoms and exhibited one or more signs of systemic atherosclerosis, including atherosclerosis of at least one major brain artery other than those clinically relevant, coronary artery disease, and/or peripheral artery disease. For the SUDn-E group, the SUDn criteria from the TOAST (Trial of Org 10172 in Acute Stroke Treatment) classification system were strictly applied.
Results
The final analysis included 153 patients, with 104 (68%) classified as SUDn-E and the remaining 32% as SUDn-AT. Patients in the SUDn-AT group had a higher systolic BV (P=0.012) and diastolic BV (P=0.020) than those in the SUDn-E group. Multivariable logistic regression analysis revealed that age (odds ratio [OR], 1.08; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.03–1.13; P=0.003), systolic BV (OR, 3.11; 95% CI, 1.41–6.85; P=0.005), and diastolic BV (OR, 1.08; 95% CI, 1.02–1.14; P=0.009) were associated with SUDn-AT.
Conclusions
Within the TOAST system, two SUDn entities may be distinguishable, with potentially different underlying etiologies: atherothrombosis and embolic stroke of undetermined source.
CYP2C19 Polymorphisms and Smoking Status Affects Responsiveness to the Platelet P2Y12 Receptor Antagonist Clopidogrel
Sang Won Han, Yong-Jae Kim, Woo-Keun Seo, Sungwook Yu, Hyo Suk Nam, Sung Sang Yoon, Seo Hyun Kim, Jong Yun Lee, Jun Hong Lee, Yang-Ha Hwang, Jun Lee, Kyung-A Lee, Kyung-Yul Lee
Cardiovasc Prev Pharmacother. 2019;1(2):63-70.   Published online October 31, 2019
DOI: https://doi.org/10.36011/cpp.2019.1.e8
  • 24,484 View
  • 13 Download
  • 1 Citations
Abstract PDF
Background
The “comparison of triflusal and clopidogrel effects in secondary prevention of stroke based on cytochrome P450 2C19 (CYP2C19) genotyping (MAESTRO)” study was a prospective, multicenter, randomized, open-label, and blind genotype trial. We performed a subgroup analysis of the MAESTRO study to explore the relationship between VerifyNow P2Y12 assay with regard to CYP2C19 polymorphisms and smoking status in patients with non-cardiogenic ischemic stroke who underwent clopidogrel treatment.
Methods
For the study, patients treated with clopidogrel and who underwent VerifyNow P2Y12 assay was selected from the MAESTRO study.
Results
Of the 393 patients in 18 hospitals, 256 (65%) patients in 12 hospitals were entered for this subgroup analysis. P2Y12 reaction unit (PRU) was significantly lower and percent inhibition (% INH) was higher in the current smoking group than in the nonsmoking group (p<0.001). The same results were also observed in the good genotype group when compared with the poor genotype group (p<0.001). Among the groups, significant lower PRU and higher % INH was demonstrated in current smoking with good genotype group. However, there was no difference in PRU and % INH between current smoking with poor genotype group and nonsmoking with good genotype group, suggesting that clopidogrel activity was concurrently related to CYP2C19 polymorphisms and smoking status.
Conclusions
Regarding secondary stroke prevention, patients who were current smokers and had a poor genotype for clopidogrel metabolism may benefit from clopidogrel treatment similar to that in patients who were nonsmokers and had a good genotype.

Citations

Citations to this article as recorded by  
  • Investigation of smoking on the antiplatelet response to clopidogrel: Unravelling the smoker’s paradox
    Frank A. Plakogiannis, Jakob Weidmann, Blake Fraser, Justin Kwong, Diana Asi, Pratham Kumar, Madeleine Baldock, Jasmine Naamo, Ruhani Baluja, Rachelle Catanzariti, Stewart Yeung, Lisa Pont, Kylie Williams, Gabriele De Rubis, Kamal Dua, Nadeem Irfan Bukhar
    Pathology - Research and Practice.2024; 257: 155290.     CrossRef

CPP : Cardiovascular Prevention and Pharmacotherapy